Dandruff is a common condition that affects many cats, and its appearance may come from different reasons. Know the main reasons why your cat has dandruff, what causes it and what treatment to apply.
In order to detect any major problem that is related to the appearance of that feline dandruff and, in that way, act accordingly, it is important to understand the reason why your cat has developed dandruff.
WHAT IS FELINE DANDRUFF?
Dandruff is a dermatological condition of the scalp that, as it occurs in human, affects many cats at some point in their lives.
It is dead skin in the form of lamellae, flakes or specks that break off, falling or staying attached to the coat of the Pussycat.
Dandruff is more like a symptom than a disease. The renewal of dead skin is something natural, and sometimes the appearance of dandruff is not alarming. However, if the amount is excessive and is accompanied by other symptoms, you must visit the veterinarian to determine the reason and indicate what you need to do to resolve the issue.
To give you an initial idea of what may be happening, next we will see the main reasons why your cat has dandruff.
“Why does my cat have dandruff?”
As we said, the reasons why a cat suffers from dandruff are many. Either by internal factors (such as seborrhea) or external factors (such as diabetes).
The main causes linked to an excess of dandruff are:
- Diseases and other reasons
HOW TO DETECT FELINE DANDRUFF
It is not always easy to see, especially in light-colored cats. The white color of dandruff makes it stand out more in a black cat than in a blond cat.
Unless the dandruff is very evident to the naked eye, the most frequent method to discover that your cat has dandruff is when you are brushing it. It can also be seen while you caress the pussycat, especially doing it against hair.
HOW TO REMOVE DANDRUFF FROM CATS
The main thing is to know the reason for the dandruff, to eradicate the problem. The veterinarian will be the one who will be able to determine the reason for the dandruff and will establish the treatment to follow.
The diagnostic tests you may need to do are:
- Exploration. Through inspection, palpation and general analysis of the appearance of the cat.
- Complete blood count, urinalysis, biochemical profile. To assess the general health of the kitten, including hydration, inflammation, infection, organ and electrolyte levels.
- Scraping of the skin. To analyze a sample and detect pathologies such as infection of mites, ringworm, etc.
- Stool analysis or other tests to detect parasites.
- Tests to detect allergies to food and other allergens.
TREATMENT TO ELIMINATE FELINE DANDRUFF
Depending on what the veterinarian sees as the reason why your cat has dandruff, you may be prescribed:
- Special shampoos and bath
- Change of feeding
- Specific medication, such as insulin for diabetes or antihistamines for allergy
HOME REMEDIES TO ELIMINATE DANDRUFF
The main thing is prevention, and therefore it is important that we always maintain:
- a correct feeding of the pussycat
- good brushing and hair care
- good internal and external hydration of the pussycat